Years ago, my In-laws went to high school with Roy Marshall, his brother and sisters, and his cousins Jeff & Sam. My Father-in-Law became best buddies with these guys and their families have become just that, a family. In 1958 the Marshalls had a son they named Calvin. In 1961 the Carters had a son they named David. Those two boys grew up to be best buddies too. I married the latter, Berniece married the former.
Calvin and Dave are so much alike. They are as close to twin brothers as they can be. I guess one is a little taller. They sound alike, they look alike, they think alike, and they both have hot wives...
In 1969, the Marshalls bought this piece of property outside of Dillard and it became the spot for the annual Easter celebration, deer hunting, class reunions, weddings, and funerals. You name it and it has been celebrated it there. When Roy retired, he and his wife, Margie, built their home there with the help of friends and family. I saw some photos not too long ago with Brown Eyed Man working on the house with no shirt on. I wish I had known him then. But I think I was only about 13 then so I might not have been interested and if he was, we all know he would be a sicko. They kept the camp area too. So when you see pictures ofthe place, please know that they do not live in an old turquoise mobile home or a cabin they found up the hill and drug down to the camp spot and their furniture isn't all outside.
So what happens at this celebration? Do we celebrate Jesus rising from the tomb? No. We shoot all kinds of guns and see who shoots the best and those people win hokey trophies. We hunt for Easter eggs. We do partake of the blood of Christ...not really. I don't think Southern Comfort is even close to the blood of Christ. I'm probably going to be struck by lightning for even suggesting that.
We go for long walks, we gobble at the turkeys that walk through camp, we take rides on the four-wheelers, we hand feed the tame deer that come around, and we stand by the fire and visit with all the great aunts and great uncles and cousins and neighbors and friends who know that it's Easter and time to head to the Marshalls.
My Father-in-Law
Disclaimer: I'm still in California with The Girl. There might be something interesting happening that starts with "E", but I wrote this ahead of time so I wouldn't fall out of schedule.


Your Easter celebration sounds like so much fun. Who doesn't love a little SoCo? ;)
ReplyDeleteWow those deer really do look tame. Fun! Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! We're on our way there sas I type this. I can't wait! I hope have a great easter weekend too.
ReplyDelete