Wednesday, February 15, 2012

42

Yesterday I turned 42.  That's weird for me to say.  When people ask how old I am, I always start with "Thhhh....".  This is my third year in the forties and I still think I'm in my thirties.  I used to think that the ideal age was 22.  Now, I know better than that.  Too much drama, famine, and uncertainty.  The thirties weren't bad. 

I left my fiance at 30 and moved in with my Brother, Sister-in-Law and 6 month old Nephew.
Met my future husband.
Fell in love with my husband at 32.
Started my current job and moved to my current hometown at 33.
Moved into our house at 34.
Got married at 35.
Joined way too many volunteer organizations at 36.
Son graduated when I was 37.
Apparently did nothing memorable at 38 and 39.

People always ask me if it's weird to have my birthday on Valentine's Day and it never has been.  It's like everyone is celebrating your birthday.  The only thing that bothered me was when we were kids, Tim would get a present on my birthday and I didn't get one on his.  He was born in the summer and one year we were on vacation visiting family around his birthday.  He got 9 birthday parties that year.  NINE.  Since I was born in February, there was generally a blizzard going on during my festivities and no vacations.

When I was in high school I worked at a balloon shop called Balloonatiks.  I had to work every year on my birthday and it was torture.  It was unbelievable how many deliveries there were.  I can thank that job for my lack of interest in most candy.  We had a huge selection of candy and I sample every bit of it.  Frequently.

In college, I was always getting birthday gifts and sometimes valentine gifts from boys.  Getting the birthday gifts made up for the lack of valentines.

In my 20's I used to go out with my brother for my birthday on occasion.

Now that I'm so old, I don't really care what happens on my birthday.  I enjoy a quiet night at home.  I like to make up rules for my birthday like "I get to do this because it's my birthday"  or "...because it's my birthday week".

I did have to do a lot of convincing to get Brown-Eyed Man to understand that my birthday and Valentine's Day are two separate and distinct holidays and they require separate cards at a minimum.  He picks out the best cards.  If you ever get a card from him, make sure you read every word because he did and he picked it out because it said the perfect thing.

We had lunch delivered at work and red velvet cake in the afternoon.

The Girl made supper.  Chicken Cordon Bleu, Green Beans, Cheesy Bread and Chocolate Parfaits for dessert.  It was all delicious and a nice treat to have someone make supper for me. 

The Boy and The Girlfriend came over after their Valentine's date.

Brown-eyed man got me what I wanted for my birthday but I think my parents got me the same thing only better so I'm not mentioning what he got until after this weekend when I see what they got.

He also bought me a bracelet I've been wanting from a jeweler we met while in Las Vegas a couple years ago.  That was my Valentine's Day gift.

Probably the best thing to happen yesterday is that my good friend's son and his wife had a baby girl.  On MY birthday.  So exciting!  I can't wait to see her.

I hope you had a great Valentine's Day and Jennifer's Birthday!

j

No comments:

Post a Comment