On Saturday, we attended the funeral for one of Brown Eyed man's Uncles. It was so nice to see all of the family in one place, but it was sad. It's hard to watch his older cousins as they say goodbye to their Dad. I think the hardest part is knowing that at some point, we are going to have to do the same with our own parents.
The Boy and The Girl came. They and their cousins all pick right up where they left off. The Boy is eating a little too much hot dish in North Dakota. He's put on 20 pounds.
In the afternoon, we fed pears to the cows. The calves would have nothing to do with us. One of Brown Eyed Man's Cousins tried to give a cow some beer but she wasn't interested.
After the service, we had a dinner and we visited. There was a slideshow of Uncle's life. He married my Father-in-Law's older sister so he was like a big brother to three younger boys. As a matter of fact, he was a big brother to four boys himself. He outlived them all. He and his wife had two boys and only one of them had children. A boy and a girl.
Coincidentally, he was born in North Dakota. Just like my Father-in-Law. Just like my Grandma too. His mother had the same name as my Great Grandmother. It really does get to be a small world, doesn't it?
The kids complain about it, but whenever we get a chance to have a group photo taken, I don't pass it up. With The Boy in North Dakota, it's getting harder and harder to get the four of us together.
I'm wearing my sunglasses in this photo because on Friday night, after two glasses of wine, I decided to trim my eyebrows and all of a sudden, I only had half an eyebrow on one side. I had to even them up, so I trimmed half the other off and now I have two tiny eyebrows and luckily my hair is very light or you would really notice.
I can't believe how much The Girl is growing up. She looks like she's 24 here. The other day I was talking to her boyfriend. He's turning 21 in a few weeks. We determined that he was born the same year I turned 21...that's hard to believe.
I had planned to do some canning and some sewing and some work on Sunday, but I scrapped all of that for a trip to Coburg for their annual Antique Fair. My In-Laws go every year and this year Brown Eyed man's Sister and her family went too. I've gone a few times. Sometimes Brown Eyed Man goes, but rarely. I found a few nifty things I didn't really need, but bought anyway.
My Mother-in-Law's Sister and her husband were there too. I like to visit with them. Actually, one of her other sisters was there too. Due to a huge family blow-up a few years ago, in which her family tried to get between Brown Eyed Man's Sister and Parents and us, I have a very hard time being friendly with that sister. She has never apologized for what she tried to do. She feigns ignorance and is "happy" to see me. I really wish I had the guts to tell her what I think in person, but this would (a) put my Mother-in-Law in an awkward position and (b) probably be more trouble than it's worth. She and her family just simply don't exist for us anymore. Except we run into her at a place like this and I'm totally not prepared and I leave the encounter wishing I had acted differently. Partcularly this time. For reasons I can't get into.
When I got home from Coburg, The Girl and I went to see a brand new baby girl just born yesterday morning. It was a wonderful way to end the weekend. Cue the Circle of Life....


No comments:
Post a Comment